Daphne McClure was born in Helston, Cornwall, in 1930. She attended the Hornsey College of Art and the Central School of Art. She worked for a while at the Royal Opera House and in 1976 she left Oxford to return home to Cornwall where she now paints full time from her studio.
In 1995 she was commissioned by the Tate Gallery in St Ives, Cornwall, to design a piece of work to exhibit for its first exhibition. Her work is now widely recognised and has become extremely desirable and found in many private collections worldwide.